Welcome to the official website of the New Zealand Institute of Animal Management – New Zealand’s official industry specific website relating to Dog Control and Stray stock issues.
Formerly the New Zealand Institute of Animal Control Officers (NZIACO), the New Zealand Institute of Animal Management (NZIAM) is an incorporated society that has been proudly functioning for the last 50 years. The NZIAM represents professional animal management officers from throughout New Zealand providing
- Regional support and training through seven regional branches
- National training at an annual conference
- Develop and Maintain Standard Operating Procedures
- Maintain professional development resource
- Representation at National and Local Government Levels
- Legislative advise to members, Government and likeminded organisations
- Representation on the New Zealand Companion Animal Council
- Representation on the National Animal Welfare Emergency Management sub group
- Bite Prevention Education Program “Dogsmart”
- The NZIAM represent over two hundred members who are passionate about keeping their communities safe, providing advice and education through daily interaction, building lasting and productive relationships, providing technical advice, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and by-laws and re-uniting lost animal with their owners.
Dog Control and Stock Control, while governed by Legislation, is the responsibility of Local Government to administer and enforce through 67 Territorial Authorities throughout New Zealand, including the Chatham Islands.
The NZIAM aims to provide its members with support, resources and training that will allow them to develop within their careers and to provide their communities with a professional level of service. Provide a platform that members can be kept up to date on National and International trends and events within the animal management industry.
We hope you find this website to be a useful resource. If you require further information, do not hesitate to contact us.