Principal Specialist | Animal Management
- Lead strategic direction policy
- Support key initiatives
- Drive a world class animal management service.
Do you want to make a difference and contribute positively to making Auckland a dog friendly city?
Auckland Council’s Animal Management team is a key contributor to public safety and community well-being through the control and management of dogs and other animals across the region. They are also responsible for providing a range of essential services to Aucklanders including raising public awareness by providing education frameworks, dog registration, pet adoption and other community-based initiatives.
Auckland has the largest dog population in New Zealand and the region also includes large rural areas where other farm animals and livestock are prevalent. Subsequently, the Animal Management team is the busiest in the country and is currently undergoing sizeable growth due to the transformation of its field and customer services teams to accommodate a more efficient approach to operation and delivery.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Animal Management, you will provide advanced professional specialist advice in specialist areas such as but not limited to legislative interpretation, best practice in compliance and enforcement and animal shelter services, fostering regional and national consistency for compliance activity, successful education programmes, health and welfare of dogs, and industry-leading innovations in animal management.
As our Principal Specialist, you will lead the formulation and development of strategic direction policy, as well as supporting initiatives to drive a world class animal management service, we want to make it easy for customers committed to meeting the requirements to get the support and advice they need. You will be required to develop and maintain sustainable relationships with key stakeholders as this is critical to the success of the role. The role will also undertake contract and programme management functions, providing coaching and mentoring for team leaders and staff, as required.
Who you are:
We are looking for someone with:
- Experience and the ability to work to policies and build collaborative relationships with stakeholders is essential to the role.
- A background in either a regulatory or compliance based environment and a contemporary working knowledge of the Dog Control Act 1996 and the Animal Welfare Act 1999 is essential.
- Mediation and negotiation skills, this will be one of your strengths and you will be a great team player.
- The ability to think outside the square, someone who is a self-starter, inventive and is enthusiast about making a difference
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively across a wide range of sectors.
- A current New Zealand Drivers Licence is essential.
We will offer you a great working environment, the knowledge and support of other like-minded professionals and an enthusiastic and hard-working team to work with.
If this sounds like your next career move, please apply online at https://careers.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz and enter job code 102206.
For more information, contact Enna Cecilio (Talent Acquisition Consultant Specialist) on 021 223 2212 or email email@example.com.
Applications for this role close on Tuesday, 7 November 2017 at 10:30 pm.